Thursday, December 4, 2008

Spicy Sloppy Joes

I adore slow cooker recipes. They are done when Walter gets home from work, and I don't have to worry about wearing myself down by the end of the day and still having to cook.

Spicy Sloppy Joes



These are very spicy and very sloppy. I cannot say if they are very Joey, but now things are borderline inappropriate. ;) They were a bit too liquidy, so I added a couple of handfuls of flour. I also used tomato sauce instead of juice because I misread the recipe whilst shopping...

I got this recipe here at Recipezaar.

Ingredients
-1 1/2 lbs ground beef
-1 large onion, chopped
-1 clove garlic, minced (I used 5 cloves. Yes, 5. We really like garlic)
-1 6-ounce can hot-style tomato juice (I used 1 8-ounce can of tomato sauce)
-1/2 cup catsup
-1/2 cup water
-2 tablespoons brown sugar
-2 tablespoons chopped canned jalapeno peppers
-1 tablespoon prepared mustard
-2 teaspoons chili powder
-1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
-Shredded cheese (optional)
I also added 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped.

Directions
1. Brown ground beef with onions and garlic. Drain fat if necessary.
2. Combine remaining ingredients in a slow cooker. Stir in meat, onions, and garlic when prepared.
3. Cook, covered, for 6 to 8 hours on low heat or 3 to 4 hours on high heat.
4. Spoon mixture onto buns or bread. Top with shredded cheese if desired.

3 comments:

atomicliving said...

MMMMM talk about comfort food!
Well, here is my congrats on Artsy sunday. good job, and cooking is DEFINIETLY art.

Compass Rose said...

My sister and her family would tear that up! They are all about the comfort food! I should direct her to your blog -- she needs some inspiration. And slow cooked makes it even better -- yum!

Joanna Eberhart said...

Atomic, comfort food is the best kind of food. Hooray for cooking being art!

Compass--Send her my way! I love slow cooker recipes, especially in the winter. It's easy and comforting and wonderful. :)