My cousin requested cookies. I asked him what kind, and he asked for the traditional favorite. And so, here they are.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
I got this recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.
-1/2 cup shortening
-1/2 cup butter
-1/2 cup granulated sugar
-1 cup packed brown sugar
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
-2 cups semisweet chocolate pieces (I used milk chocolate chips)
-1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts, pecans, or hazelnuts (filberts) (optional) I ommitted.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl beat the shortening and butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
3. Add the brown sugar, sugar, and baking soda and beat until combined.
4. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until combined.
5. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour. Stir in chocolate pieces and, if desired, nuts.
6. Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
7. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.