Monday, October 27, 2008

Skillet Supper


When Walter and I got married, I was not the domestic goddess I am today. I was not a very good cook at all. Numerous times, he brought up his mother's meatloaf. This wasn't just any meatloaf. He talked about it as if it were the food of Valhalla or some such. So, once I became more of what I am today, I wanted to make this meatloaf. The problem was that his mother passed away a few months before our wedding, and he was "certain" that she never wrote the recipe down. After a while it occurred to me to ask his aunts, my late mother-in-law's sisters, if they knew the recipe. Apparently it was originally from Walter's grandmother, and they happily provided it for me. I made very minimal changes, and now it's made almost weekly.

I don't even like meatloaf, normally, but I love this. It is a little different since it doesn't use catsup or any other tomato-based sauces, but if you wanted to eat it with them, I imagine it would still be good (Walter dips his in A1 Steak Sauce).



Skillet Supper


Ingredients
-2 pounds ground beef
-2 eggs
-1/2 cup cracker crumbs (about 20)
-2 tablespoons onion
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/8 teaspoon pepper
-1/2 stick butter or 1 can mushroom soup (I always use butter, and Walter says his mother never used the soup, either, but this is what I was told)
-4-6 potatoes, sliced or cubed
-2 cans of green beans, drained
I also add Soul Food Seasoning to the meatloaf mixture

Directions
1. Preheat electric skillet to 325 degrees.
2. Mix together first six items and form into a loaf.
3. Cut potatoes and drain green beans
4. Place loaf and vegetables in skillet and immediately reduce heat to 250 degrees.
5. Spoon soup or butter around loaf and vegetables.
6. Cook covered for 35 to 45 minutes or until center of loaf is 160 degrees or warmer.

No comments: